Thursday 22 May 2014

Boy & the Band

Have you ever had a memory of something so sweet, so funny, that you store it in your mind to to make you smile on the bad days?  Anyone who knows me has heard about my son.  He is my pride, my joy, the day he was born was the first day I truly experienced love at its best.  I have a million and one memory's of him with many more to come that carry me through awful moments, terrible days at work etc.......and today he gave me a fresh new one that I would like to share.........that's if I can stop laughing and type.



This is my boy, and yes those glasses are real and yes he picked them out himself.  Hes funny and outgoing, loves soccer and makes new friends easily and he is the biggest geek in all good senses of the word.  He LOVES ALL super heroes, loves Lego and reading and is seriously addicted to Star Wars much to his fathers (king Geek) approval.

This week they had an assembly at school.  A local orchestra had come to play for all the children (the school runs from k-8) and all the little kindergartens where sitting up front.  The teaches expected it may be a tad boring for them, sadly there isn't much interest in orchestras or classical music with kids these days.
Yet as the instruments warmed up my sons eyes widened and as the music turned into the Star Wars theme.....well the Orchestra had acquired a new fan.  To hear his teacher tell it, my son jumped to his little feet, threw his fists in the air and screamed "they are playing my song" as if he was at the greatest rock concert every preformed.  The teachers got a good giggle and the thought makes me burst into laughter but what happens next delights me even more.  The only way they could contain my sons joy and get him to settle so the rest of the kids could hear was with the promise that he could speak to the conductor and the orchestra afterwards.  He sat mystified for the rest of the performance waiting for his chance to meet these people.  When the little concert was done he clapped loudly, hooted, and attempted to whistle (he can't whistle, lol), till his teacher took his hand and brought him up to the performers.

Members of the Orchestra were delighted to meet him and shook his little hand and even gave him an encore performance of his favorite song when he requested.  His school as well as the conductor took pictures of him standing proudly with the band, as my son told them he would definitely bring his Mommy to hear them next time they played.

By the time he got home his joy hadn't died down and he was trying his best to whistle his favorite song between talking about how someday he was going to be part Orchestra and play "the superman song and the star wars song, and does harry potter have a song mom?"

He certainly earned his geeky little reputation between his dad and I and we couldn't be prouder, who knows maybe some day he will be playing with a big orchestra, right now we're just trying to get him to "whistle something else"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO6oIF8O6yk&list=RDMO6oIF8O6yk#t=0



2 comments: